We don’t have a feature item for this extra long episode – just Tessa and Ben sitting on chairs talking about stuff. With an arty thing in the middle.
Apologies by the way for the various traffic and drilling background noises in this episode. Unfortunately they are a bit intrusive at times but hopefully this will not spoil the episode too much for you. We also had to do a few wee amendments to the original episode – the regulations are so complex that even our experts slipped up a couple of times. Which is why we have now put a few notices up on the screen.
In this episode, we are concentrating on the new laws coming into force on 1 October. Here are the links:
The Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarms regs
- The Landlord Law Blog Post
- The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015
- The Government Guidance
The Section 21 changes
- The Deregulation Act 2014
- The Assured Shorthold Tenancy Notices and Prescribed Requirements (England) Regulations 2015
- The Government’s How to Rent booklet
- Don’t use the notice in the regulations above as this was amended by amendment regulations here. (But in most cases you won’t need to use it until after 1 February for the reasons we give in the program).
Note – Tessa talks in the program about serving the How to Rent booklet by email. This should only be done if the tenant agrees (and the agreement should be in writing so you can prove it).
Landlord Law Blog posts on the section 21 changes: